Skip to main content

Getting help after a car accident can require patience, but mounting costs may not give you much breathing room. Fortunately, you might already be holding the help you need.

Car accidents cause millions of dollars in injuries every year, and they can also come with plenty of property damage. A solid case takes time to build, but those costs don’t always wait patiently by the wayside. New York lays out requirements for insurance that every driver must have, and that means you might have help in place when you need it.

Supporting claims

Drivers need to meet the basic standards for insurance to register their cars. More than just a barrier to getting plates, these policies could come in handy when you need help after a collision:

  • No-fault insurance: Personal Injury Protection (PIP) can kick in after an accident, even if you share some of the blame for the crash. This coverage could handle costs that stem from your accident, like medical bills and lost wages.  These are referred to as “economic losses”.  It’s called “No-Fault” insurance because it does not matter who is at fault for the accident.  Rather, the insurance that covers the vehicle that you were in when you were hurt – that insurance covers your economic losses.
  • Insurance covering property damage: You might not be the only thing hurting afterward. Your car could cause some damage to the other vehicle, property in the area or pedestrians. This type of insurance could step in and help pay for other bills that might show up at your door.
  • Uninsured: Not everyone follows the law, but that doesn’t mean you miss out on coverage. When you get into a wreck with someone who doesn’t have insurance or you’re the victim of a hit-and-run, uninsured motorist insurance can cover you.

Insurance that the state asks you to purchase in order to register a vehicle could support you in a big way while you’re waiting for your recovery. You may be able to spend more time working on a substantial claim when there’s help to carry you through.